What is Management Discussion and Analysis?
In the financial world, a management discussion and analysis (MD&A) is a written explanation of a public company's performance for the reporting period. The explanation appears in the company's disclosures to the Securities and Exchange (usually the 10-K and 10-Q).
How Does Management Discussion and Analysis Work?
Let's say Company XYZ is athat must file 10-Qs and 10-Ks with the SEC. Both forms require an MD&A, which means the executives at Company XYZ must compose several pages of written insight, explanation, expectations and detail that provide more information about the company's financial condition, decisions and plans.
The Securities and Exchangedictates to some degree what goes into the MD&A:
- A discussion of the company's financial condition, changes in financial condition and results of operations
- A discussion of the company's liquidity and capital resources, including trends, demands, commitments, events or uncertainties that could change liquidity, as well as any actions the management has taken to remedy deficiencies in the company's liquidity or capital resources
- A discussion and description of the company's sources of capital, limits on that capital, costs of the capital and available facilities
- A discussion of segment information or other subdivisions of the company, in a segment-by-segment manner
- Descriptions of unusual or infrequent operating events that materially affected or are expected to materially affect .
- A discussion of the reasons for material increases or decreases in revenues, including "a narrative discussion of the extent to which such increases are attributable to increases in prices or to increases in the or amount of goods or services being sold or to the introduction of new products or services"
- A discussion of the impact of inflation on the business
- A discussion of the company's off-balance-sheet arrangements
- A table describing the company's contractual obligations, including the size of the obligation, the nature of the obligation, and the of the obligation.
Why Does Management Discussion and Analysis Matter?
Anyone who has ever looked at an annual report, a or a has undoubtedly noticed that there are pages and pages of text -- the filings aren't just financial statements. Part of this text is the MD&A, and its intent is to explain portions of what you're seeing in the financial statements themselves. That is, the MD&A is management's attempt to explain why things are the way they are. It is important to , however, that the MD&A is not audited; only the actual financial statements are audited in a financial report.
Personalized Financial Plans for an Uncertain Market
In today’s uncertain market, investors are looking for answers to help them grow and protect their savings. So we partnered with Vanguard Advisers -- one of the most trusted names in finance -- to offer you a financial plan built to withstand a variety of market and economic conditions. A Vanguard advisor will craft your customized plan and then manage your savings, giving you more confidence to help you meet your goals. Click here to get started.
Read This Next
If you want to make money in the stock...Read More →
If you've ever had a job with a terrible commute, you know that road construction is like glitter -- once it gets on a city, it's almost impossible to get rid of, and it shows up everywhere....Read More →