What is an Index Option?
How Does an Index Option Work?
Index options usually have a contract multiplier of $100, meaning that the price of an index option equals the quoted premium times $100. Unlike options in shares of stock or even commodities, it's not possible to physically deliver the underlying index to the purchaser of an index option. Thus, index options settle via cash payments.
Many times it is in an investor's best interest to lock in recent gains or to protect a portfolio of stocks from a decline beyond a certain price. One way to do this would be to purchase a put option contract on each of your various holdings (this would essentially allow you to "lock in" a particular sale price on each stock, so even if the market crashed, your overall portfolio wouldn't suffer much). However, if you hold a large, diversified portfolio of stocks, then it is probably not cost-effective to insure each and every position in this manner.
As an alternative, investors might want to consider using index options to hedge the risk in their portfolios. Many different indices have options available, including the Nasdaq 100, the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500. With some careful planning, investors should be able to offset a sharp decline in a portfolio by hedge their overall position with index options. Though it is impossible to forecast exactly how a portfolio will perform during a steep market sell-off, one can get fairly close to the actual result by determining which particular index to use as a proxy for the portfolio and then determining the correct number of options to use as a portfolio hedge.
Why Does an Index Option Matter?
Index options are essentially bets on the overall movement of the stocks. Hedgers and speculators can use them to get exposure to an entire market or entire sector in a single, quick transaction. And like other options, index options leverage and predetermined risk. After all, the most the index option trader can lose is the premium he or she paid to hold the options, and the upside can be incredible.or a basket of
It is important to note that equity index options have special tax consequences: 60% of any gain on the sale of the is taxed as a long-term capital gain; the other 40% is as short-term capital gain income.
Personalized Financial Plans for an Uncertain Market
In today’s uncertain market, investors are looking for answers to help them grow and protect their savings. So we partnered with Vanguard Advisers -- one of the most trusted names in finance -- to offer you a financial plan built to withstand a variety of market and economic conditions. A Vanguard advisor will craft your customized plan and then manage your savings, giving you more confidence to help you meet your goals. Click here to get started.
Read This Next
Booking travel is so easy to do, yet all too often we wind up spending more than we wanted. Thank fee-happy airlines for that -- there's no limit to what they'll charge for, from meals to...Read More →
When a company dumps an executive, it's definitely a sign that it's time to step back, look at the big picture, and try to get a feeling for whether the news is a positive or negative for the...Read More →
When you look at your list of daily tasks and appointments, what jumps out? The presentation that you have to prepare? That hot stock you want to buy? The trip that you...Read More →
Steve Jobs once famously commented that simplicity is genius. That attitude helped Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL) redefine the personal electronics space and create an entire...Read More →