What is Amended Return?

An amended return is a Form 1040X filed by a taxpayer to correct mistakes made on a Form 1040, Form 1040A, Form 1040EX, Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ (U.S. Individual Income Tax Return) filed in the previous three years.

How Does Amended Return Work?

Let's assume you submit your Form 1040 on April 15 and then discover that you made a mistake in your filing status, your income, your dependents, or your deductions. To correct the error, you can file a Form 1040X (Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return)--also called an amended return.

In general, taxpayers have two or three years from the date of their original return to revise their returns, depending on their circumstances. It is not possible to submit corrections for more than one year on one form; each correction must be submitted individually and in its own envelope. Taxpayers may also amend amended returns.

Why Do Amended Returns Matter?

It is important to note that the taxpayer may also need to revise his or her state tax return after revising a federal return.

Additionally, the IRS typically catches simple math errors while processing the return and may contact a taxpayer if a required schedule is missing, it does not catch every problem right away. Even in this scenario, taxpayer may be liable for penalties and accrued interest. Filing an amended return as quickly as possible is the easiest and cheapest way to make things right.

Ask an Expert about Amended Return

All of our content is verified for accuracy by Paul Tracy and our team of certified financial experts. We pride ourselves on quality, research, and transparency, and we value your feedback. Below you'll find answers to some of the most common reader questions about Amended Return.

Be the first to ask a question

If you have a question about Amended Return, then please ask Paul.

Ask a question
Paul Tracy
Paul Tracy

Paul has been a respected figure in the financial markets for more than two decades. Prior to starting InvestingAnswers, Paul founded and managed one of the most influential investment research firms in America, with more than 3 million monthly readers.

Verified Content You Can Trust
verified   Certified Expertsverified   5,000+ Research Pagesverified   5+ Million Users