What is Non Judicial Foreclosure?
How Does Non Judicial Foreclosure Work?
In general, there are eight events involved in a(in this example, we assume the borrower has obtained a for a house from the ).
1. The borrower signs a contract agreeing to repay the lender over a period of time, usually in predetermined installments.
2. The borrower misses one or more payments.
3. The lender sends the borrower one or more notices of delinquency.
4. The borrower and the lender try to adjust the schedule so that the borrower is more likely to make at least some of the payments until he or she gets back on his feet. (This process is called special forbearance or mortgage modification.)
5. The borrower still misses payments.
6. The lender sends the borrower a notice of default and initiates foreclosure proceedings.
a. In a judicial foreclosure, a court confirms the amount owed to the lender and gives the borrower a set amount of time to pay up ("cure the default").
b. In a nonjudicial foreclosure, the loan document authorizes the lender to sell the property to recover the loan balance.
7. The lender the property up for sale and publishes a notice of the sale in the local paper. The notice includes a description of the property, the name of the borrower, and other information. The borrower might file Chapter 13 to stop the foreclosure temporarily.
8. A public auction occurs during business hours, and the highest bidder is usually entitled to buy the property. At that point, the borrower cannot get the property back unless he or she buys it back.
Why Does Non Judicial Foreclosure Matter?
Non judicial foreclosures happen when a lender has to take the borrower to court in order to foreclose; hence the term. Many states require judicial foreclosures.agreement has a "power of sale" clause that gives the the right to foreclose on a property by itself. Without that clause, the
The credit report. It is important to that foreclosure laws vary by state, and they affect the order or of these steps. It is also important to note that the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act affects foreclosure proceedings by stipulating the methods can use to go after bad debts.
Personalized Financial Plans for an Uncertain Market
In today’s uncertain market, investors are looking for answers to help them grow and protect their savings. So we partnered with Vanguard Advisers -- one of the most trusted names in finance -- to offer you a financial plan built to withstand a variety of market and economic conditions. A Vanguard advisor will craft your customized plan and then manage your savings, giving you more confidence to help you meet your goals. Click here to get started.
Read This Next
Just because you have rich parents, it doesn't mean you're going to inherit a lot of money. Just ask J....Read More →
Imagine paying off your 30-year fixed mortgage five, 10, or even 15 years early. If you were 30 when you took out your home loan, you could be mortgage-free by 45, freeing up an extra $2,...Read More →
Wall Street wants your business. But those cut-rate commissions are just a trick to lure...Read More →