Student Loan Marketing Association (Sallie Mae)
What is the Student Loan Marketing Association (Sallie Mae)?
How Does the Student Loan Marketing Association (Sallie Mae) Work?
Congress created Sallie Mae in 1972. In 2004, Sallie Mae severed its ties to the federal government and became a private company.
Sallie Mae is a large organization with many subsidiaries. SLM Corporation is the formal name of the parent entity that oversees nearly all of Sallie Mae's divisions and functions. Sallie Mae, Inc. is a subsidiary entity that manages most of SLM's administrative functions, such as finance, marketing and legal responsibilities.
It also services (that is, it manages the payment collection) of certain student loans. Here is a brief description of some of the Sallie Mae subsidiaries that provide education-related financial services:
- Nellie Mae originates Federal Stafford loans, PLUS loans, consolidation loans, and private loans for students and parents.
- Student Loan Funding (SLF) offers a wide range of student loans and provides technology services to schools and organizations offering student loans.
- Academic Management Services (AMS) originates loans and runs a counseling service to help families budget for tuition.
- Southwest Student Services Corporation funds, purchases and services student loans. It also offers financial ai counseling and loan consolidation.
- Student Loan Finance Association offers financial ai counseling in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, Utah and Northern California.
- Sallie Mae Bank funds and originates Sallie Mae loans and is insured and regulated by the FDIC.
- Sallie Mae Education Trust offers a variety of student loans as well as education and training to financial-aid professionals. It also provides information and services that educate borrowers about how to pay for college.
Why Does the Student Loan Marketing Association (Sallie Mae) Matter?
Sallie Mae also provides important collection services to guarantors of student loans, thereby making the lending system less averse to students and their families. In addition, Sallie Mae's securitization of student loans brings more cash to lenders, which in turn have more cash to make more student loans.
Many investors and analysts consider debt in the form of student loans to be "good" debt. Although the amount of student loan debt accrued by college graduates has increased dramatically in recent years, this educational-related debt allows graduates to earn higher salaries as professionals.
Thanks to organizations such as Sallie Mae and its subsidiaries, more students are able to pursue higher education and finance their education in ways that are financially feasible.
Personalized Financial Plans for an Uncertain Market
In today’s uncertain market, investors are looking for answers to help them grow and protect their savings. So we partnered with Vanguard Advisers -- one of the most trusted names in finance -- to offer you a financial plan built to withstand a variety of market and economic conditions. A Vanguard advisor will craft your customized plan and then manage your savings, giving you more confidence to help you meet your goals. Click here to get started.